The Edmonton Police Service (EPS) saw yet another increase in the number of shootings in the city last month.
In a release sent out on Thursday (Sept. 14) afternoon, it was revealed that officers responded to 22 shootings in the month of August, which represents a 36 per cent rise from August 2022.
Of these shootings, police report that 18 of them appeared to be targeted and not random.
10 incidents resulted in injuries and three people were killed as a result. One of those deaths was from a self-inflicted shot.
Further, EPS has also released the following information about the shootings:
- Nine incidents of shots fired at a person
- Four incidents of shots fired at a residence
- Four incidents of shots fired into the air
- Two incidents of accidental discharge
- One incident of a self-inflicted gunshot
This brings the yearly total of reported shootings in Edmonton up to 152, which is a 32 per cent rise from this time last year.
So far, officers in the city have seized 679 guns in 2023.